There are tons of food available that taste much better when toasted. Whether it is muffin, bread or waffle, toasting them changes the taste of the food. These food items taste much better after spending some time in a toaster oven or a toaster.
While it is unarguable that some foods taste much better when they are toasted, however, there’s a big argument relating to toaster ovens and toasters. Toasters have been widely used for longer time period in the kitchen. But nowadays a new kitchen appliance known as a toaster oven is widely used.
So, what is the difference between a toaster and toaster oven? Although they sound like the same thing, they are different and perform different functions. The primary difference between both is that a toaster can only toast a few items, including waffles or bread, while a toaster oven can toast several items and perform the function of an oven on a small scale.
In this article, we will be looking in-depth at the function, usage and electrical efficiency of the two appliances. Moreover, safety and alternatives will also be suggested for these appliances. So, keep reading to learn more about these two essential kitchen appliances.
It is very important to learn that though both sounds the same, they are not. They seem to do similar jobs but are quite different from each other. For example, a toaster oven will also toast a food item similar to a toaster; however, toaster ovens are able to perform a lot of functions that a toaster cannot.
In the article below, we have mentioned in detail the functionality, specifications and usage of toaster and toaster ovens. This will help you decide which one better fits into your kitchen.
The toaster is consider as oldest kitchen appliances. It was first manufactured in the ninteen century in the UK. Toaster functioned on electricity and swiftly gained popularity across Britain. Initially, early models only could toast the bread from one side, so you needed to switch the bread manually to get it toasted from both sides.
It didn’t take long to create a toaster that was able to toast the bread from both sides simultaneously. From then, it is just about the same and performs just about the same functions. They have a basic design and come in two designs.
One offers two slices to be toasted at a time, while one offers four. Toasters are now available in various colors, materials and prices. Toasters offer heat settings; however, they do not offer exact temperature settings.
They offer a dial from one to five, which allows you to adjust the heat. The lower the number, the less toasted your bread will be. However, there is convection toaster which will not offer you these features. Toasters are comparatively faster at toasting when compared to a toaster oven. They can quickly reach the desired temperature needed for toasting. Moreover, they are pretty basic and fairly easy to use.
As we have learned in detail related to toasters, now lets jump onto toaster ovens.
Toaster oven is considered to be a current counterpart of a toaster. It was primary developed in 1910 by Westing House Electrical Company. Toaster ovens are very advanced compared to traditional toasters. Toaster ovens have two variants a mounted toaster and a countertop opener.
Countertop toasters can easily be moved on the kitchen counter. The mounted toaster oven is fixed in a cabinet or a wall and cannot be moved. Toaster ovens also come in various colors, designs, materials and prices. You have a wider range of variety that you can choose from.
Moreover, it also offers a number of features that a toaster doesn’t; for example, it has a defrosting feature and a grilling feature. Toaster ovens are generally bigger than toasters. This is because they provide many additional features apart from toasting, which leads them to be bigger in size.
Moreover, you will grill and defrost options apart from just toasting the toaster oven. You can toast at a specific temperature according to your liking, which the traditional toaster does not provide. However, if you look at the toaster oven’s basic function to toast things, it falls short on the speed.
It is slower compared to a toaster when it comes to toasting. This is because it takes a longer time to reach the specific temperature needed for toasting; however, a toaster has already set the temperature needed for toasting.
Toaster performs just about every task that a typical oven would perform to be considered a two-in-one appliance. It resembles an oven as it provides of its features. The basic differences between the two devices have been touched; now, let us see how the two appliances are different from each other.
So, What’s the Difference Between a Toaster and Toaster Oven?
Summarizing the above-mentioned article into key points and mentioning the basis differences between toaster vs. toaster ovens:
- Firstly, the primary differences you will see just by looking at both the appliances is the size. Toasters are typically small devices, while toaster oven is larger.
- Toasters are only able to toast food items. You might able to adjust its speed, but the primary thing it does is just toast. On the other hand, a toaster oven can also grill or defrost; for example, a frozen pizza can be cooked in a toaster oven.
- A toaster does not offer to toast your food at a fixed temperature, although you can adjust speed but not the temperature. Toaster ovens allow you to set a specific temperature for your food, which greatly helps you achieve the correct amount of toast you want.
- One thing that a toaster has an edge on the toaster oven is its speed. Toaster ovens comparatively take a longer time to reach a specific temperature used for toasting. However, toasters do not take long as they are only fixed to one temperature and toast things faster.
- Kitchen Accessory Buying Guides
- Kitchen Appliance Buying Guides
- Kitchen Cookbook Buying Guides
- Kitchen Cookware Buying Guides
- Kitchen Pantry Food Buying Guides
- Does Food Go Bad Articles
- Food Comparison Articles
- Foods That Start With Letter Articles
- How Long Can Food Sit Out Articles
- How To Defrost Food Articles
- How To Reheat Food Articles
- How To Soak Food Articles
- Popular Foods Articles
- What Does It Taste Like Articles