Those who work in a small kitchen will know how hard it is to move around with an 18-inch dishwasher in their way. Luckily, some of the best dishwashers aren’t full-size models and will happily call your countertop their home, offering just as much value as their full-size counterparts. In this article, we highlight the 8 best small dishwashers that are a must-have for working in smaller kitchens — they also beat hand-washing dishes.
Table of Contents
The 8 Best Small Dishwashers
When you’re looking for the best alternative to a built-in dishwasher, there’s no need to worry. Below are the best countertop models available in the market that provide great value.
- A great option for people on a budget that comes with plenty of features
- Comes with a silverware basket so you can separate small items from plates
- Available in a stainless steel finish for an elegant look that fits right in your kitchen
- Offers various cleaning cycles to help clean dishes depending on your needs
- With child lock safety features that you won’t find in many other dishwashers
This affordable model from BLACK+DECKER is small enough to fit on your countertop and can accommodate six standard place settings in one rack. It measures 21 inches tall and features a stainless steel tub, a rinse option, and 7 different wash cycles to help you get squeaky clean plates. It offers a Speed Cycle that takes just 45 minutes to clean dishes, while its Heavy Duty Cycle takes 1 hour and 45 minutes to remove tough grime and grease.
On the other hand, the normal cycle finishes in just 1 hour and 10 minutes and offers a delay-start option that allows you to get started at a more convenient time. Many people also appreciate the digital control panel it comes with which shows the current cycle your washer is on and how much time remains. Easy to use and compact, it can quickly connect to your kitchen faucet and isn’t too loud while operational — it’s simply the best countertop dishwasher for small spaces.
- A luxurious-looking dishwasher with top controls that can get the job done
- Comes with a larger capacity that has enough space for 16 place settings
- Has a third rack that you can use for spatulas, lids, and serving utensils
- With a cycle that specifically targets 99.99% of bacteria for a deep clean
- Offers 4 bottle wash jets which spray deep into narrow glasses, water bottles, and jars
This Top Control Dishwasher from GE offers an extra-large capacity that can carry a wide range of kitchenware, while its stainless steel finish is fingerprint-resistant and has a sleek bar handle. But this efficient dishwasher doesn’t just look good, it also has an above-average cleaning performance and offers 3 different wash levels that ensure every dish is cleaned with water and detergent. Moreover, it has an integrated food disposer that takes care of any leftover gunk — its fan-assisted dry cycle ensures your dishes are sparkling clean.
Thanks to its “Steam + Sani” cycle, your dishes will be cleared of 99.99% bacteria and food particles, so they will truly shine in your kitchen. Thanks to its wash jets, you never have to worry about washing glasses and getting clean dishes using your hand. Overall, you’ll have a hard time trying to find compact dishwashers that are better than this one which offers so many features for its price.
- Comes with a heating element that speeds up the drying process
- With powerful wash programs that clean greasy pots, gritty bowls, and messy plates
- Has an adjustable middle rack that helps to keep pans upright
- Offers smart features such as a specific cycle for heavy pans and pots
- Its quiet operation means that you won’t hear it while watching your favorite shows
Unfortunately, a lot of options currently out in the market will tend to hold moisture, so you’ll have to dry your plates using a dishcloth. With the Bosch 800 Series dishwashers, you won’t have to worry about this problem — using CrystalDry technology, it can absorb water and store heat, making the dry cycle much easier. It’s also strong enough to remove stains and leftovers from all kinds of kitchenware and utensils.
- Provides an option that’s much more affordable compared to many other brands
- Offers a quiet noise level that you won’t find in other models for the same price range
- Comes with a heating element for the water so you won’t have to use hot water from your faucet
- With a digital LED display that allows you to choose specific settings and washing programs
- Made from durable stainless steel that’s easy to clean and maintain
The RCA RDW3208 Countertop Dishwasher offers a budget-friendly alternative to more well-known brands such as Miele dishwashers that cost a fortune. This countertop option isn’t just affordable; it’s also quiet and can carry just as many items as other options. Its small size means that it can fit under most kitchen cabinets and offers various wash cycle options such as economy, glass, rapid, intensive, soak, and normal cycle.
- Doesn’t need to be hooked to a water source thanks to its built-in water tank
- Allows your faucet to stay free, offering versatility around the kitchen
- Offers a modern look through its square design that can be a great addition to your kitchen
- Comes with LED control, a water indicator, and 5 different wash settings
- Has a unique fruit wash setting that lets you wash fruits and vegetables inside the basket
This Countertop Dishwasher from Farberware is highly versatile — it doesn’t need a water supply to work since it already has a built-in tank where you can put in clean water. Holding as many as six place settings, it comes with a glass door that will let you look into your dishes while it’s running. You’ll love the rapid cycle it offers since it only takes 40 minutes to complete while the dedicated fruit and vegetable setting lets you gently wash your food items.
- Comes with the smallest dimensions and is the lightest option on this list
- A great option if you don’t want a permanent washer in your kitchen
- Ideal for people living solo or for couples that love to cook and clean together
- Offers 6 various wash cycles and comes with 2 different methods to draw water
- Has a see-through window so you don’t have to wait until the end of a cycle to see your dishes
If you’re working with smaller spaces, the Comfee WQP4-2601 Countertop Dishwasher is the perfect fit for you. Apart from being the smallest and lightest option on this list, it also offers a great temporary solution if you don’t plan to use dishwashers every day. Despite only having the capacity for solo users or couples that don’t use too much kitchenware, it has 6 different wash cycles for you to choose from as well as 2 different ways to draw water.
- Offers convenience by fitting into small spaces anywhere in your kitchen, so it remains accessible
- This small and portable dishwasher comes with a 4-place-setting capacity that can fit up to 10.25″ dishes
- Equipped with PTC Hot Wind which helps to sanitize everything you put inside, including baby products, oily plates, and even food
- With 5 various washing programs and dual high water pressure sprays for streak-free cleaning
- It requires no installation and can simply be connected to the faucet or you can use the built-in water tank
If you’re tired of washing dishes by hand and want more convenience in your kitchen, the Hermitlux Countertop Dishwasher is a great addition to your kitchen. With a 4-place-setting capacity, it’s big enough to clean up after a small family and offers various washing programs including fast cleaning, standard cleaning, strong cleaning, fruit cleaning, and Eco cleaning. This countertop dishwasher supports 2 water supply modes and its small footprint makes it a great addition to apartments, houses, dorms, RVs, and boats.
- With a capacity of 6 standard place settings which includes a cup shelf, cutlery basket, and dish rack
- Can hold plates up to 10.5 inches in diameter yet small enough to fit under most cabinets
- Made from stainless steel to provide lasting durability and runs a quiet operation
- Offers 7 wash cycles that will work according to your needs
- Features a digital control panel with an LED display and full controls
With the capacity to hold 6 place settings, the EdgeStar Portable Countertop Dishwasher can accommodate plenty of plates that are 10.5” in diameter while leaving a small footprint in your kitchen. It offers 7 different wash cycles, including normal, heavy, light, baby care, glass, rinse, and speed while its quick-connect adapter can fit standard-sized kitchen faucets. This compact dishwasher also offers a beautiful digital display with full controls that include a child lock function and a delayed start feature; all without the need for installation and comfortably fits under cabinets.
Best Dishwasher Buyer’s Guide
When you’re looking for the best portable dishwashers, you need to think about a few factors that will help you decide on the right option based on your needs and preferences, which include the following.
Capacity and Size
A countertop dishwasher will typically be around 17 to 24 inches tall, so make sure that there’s enough room between it and the cabinet overhead if you happen to have one. Most countertop models will fit a small number of place settings for each cycle, which should be enough to clean after a small family. If you have a bigger family and do a lot of cooking, it’s best to look for standard dishwashers.
For such a compact appliance, the dishwashers above come with a wide array of features and different settings which may include cold wash, a quick rinse, and washing heavy loads. Some dishwashers will also come with eco mode which helps to use less water, sanitizing capabilities, and a delayed start setting. Despite their compact size, some options will also come with plenty of buttons and a sleek control panel, but be sure to look for a model that’s easy for you to use.
Whether you’re looking to invest in a temporary or permanent installation, there are different ways to install countertop dishwashers. One option is to connect an inlet hose to the drain hose and attach it to your kitchen faucet. You can also use an adapter or a faucet splitter to divert water, allowing you to use your dishwater by simply flipping a switch.
Because a mini dishwasher is much smaller compared to most kitchen appliances, it won’t use up as much electricity and can lead to better energy savings. You can expect them to use around 120 to 250 kilowatt hours each year. Some units even come with an Energy Star rating, which means you can save on gallons of water and energy.
When you’re cleaning dishes for small families, you can’t go wrong with the BLACK+DECKER Compact Countertop Dishwasher which is our best overall pick. With an affordable price, great features, and different wash cycles included in its settings, it’s a great choice for washing dirty dishes without taking too much counter space. But even if you don’t like this particular model, you’ll love all the other online options we’ve curated in case you don’t have time to visit Home Depot.
- Kitchen Accessory Buying Guides
- Kitchen Appliance Buying Guides
- Kitchen Cookbook Buying Guides
- Kitchen Cookware Buying Guides
- Kitchen Pantry Food Buying Guides
- Does Food Go Bad Articles
- Food Comparison Articles
- Foods That Start With Letter Articles
- How Long Can Food Sit Out Articles
- How To Defrost Food Articles
- How To Reheat Food Articles
- How To Soak Food Articles
- Popular Foods Articles
- What Does It Taste Like Articles