There is a very high probability that you already own some kind of kettle. The kettle is one of the most common kitchen appliances. But people have their own preference and use for the kettle.
An electric kettle is the most common type that you will find; however, some folks do prefer the traditional stovetop kettle. With the increase in the popularity of coffee and tea, choosing the right kettle has become more difficult. This is the reason that we have written this article to choose the best one for you.
Kettles are primarily used for making tea or coffee and are basically pots used to boil water. Typically, it comes with a spot and list and is mostly made of metal. The two main kettles that you will find in the market will either be a stovetop or an electric one.
As the name of both kettles suggests, a stovetop is a kettle put on a stove to heat the liquid inside, while an electrical kettle uses electricity to get this done. The result is always the same, which is boiled water. So, folks might wonder about the differences between the electric kettle and stovetop kettle?
The primary difference is that stovetop kettle uses heat from fire gas or electric stove to heat the liquid inside; on the other hand, an electric kettle is plugged in then heats the liquid using electricity. Apart from this, electric kettles work faster and take up comparatively more space. On the other hand, the stovetop kettle is slightly smaller and takes up less space.
A stovetop kettle may be a better choice if you have limited space in your kitchen. However, it isn’t as efficient as it takes longer to boil water. On the other hand, an electric kettle takes up more space but is more time-saving and efficient.
Kettles are made of various materials, and each of them has its advantages and drawbacks. One of the cheapest kettles available in the market includes plastic kettles. However, these kettles are not safe and should only be used occasionally. They also release chemicals that badly affect your health.
The other kind of material that is used in making kettles is glass. These are comparatively safer and healthy materials in terms of boiling water. It is known not to release any chemicals; it is long-lasting and stain-resistant, making it durable.
You will also find kettles made of aluminum, copper or brass. These are typically stovetop kettles and are healthy as they do not release any kind of chemicals in the water. However, they can be a little expensive and can dent or scratch easily.
One of the most common materials in making kettle is stainless steel. It is so popular because it is the healthiest and is known not to release any chemicals. Many electric and stovetop kettles manufactured nowadays are made of stainless steel.
Stovetop kettle works by just placing them on top of a stove. Stovetop kettles are usually slightly expensive and are mostly made up of copper. On the other hand, stovetop kettles are durable when compared with electric ones as they do not need electricity to run.
One of the drawbacks is that they need constant monitoring. Moreover, they also boil comparatively slower. They do not have a thermometer or automatic shutdown mechanism, so if they are excess boiled, then the liquid overflows.
Stovetop kettles also take longer to bring water to its boiling point. This results in using additional power if it is used daily. However, it is portable and can be taken on trips as it does not require electricity to run.
As its name suggests, the electric kettle runs on electricity to boil the liquid. This is done by using a heating element called a resistor. The best thing about them is that they have an automatic shut-down mechanism.
An automatic thermostat shuts off the kettle when a certain temperature is reached. This way, there is no water overflowing or excess boiling; hence it is safe. They also take comparatively less time than a stovetop kettle to boil water.
Electric kettles come in various colors, styles and sizes. It is also power-efficient as it works on the principle of using as little energy as possible. However, if a gas stove is used for heating the stovetop kettle, it is much cheaper as gas is cheaper than electricity.
Similar to a stovetop kettle, it is portable and fairly easier to use. Some electric kettle models allow you to heat water precisely at specific temperatures as well. This works great if you are looking for something similar to a pour-over tea.
Some electric kettle models even work on a USB charger port in a car, which is a great option if you are traveling. They come with thermal-resistant handles that make them safe to handle. However, unlike stovetop kettle, it doesn’t produce a whistling sound as is liked by some folks.
So, What’s the Difference Between a Stovetop kettle and An Electric Kettle?
- The primary difference is that a stovetop kettle uses heat from fire gas or an electric stove to heat the liquid inside, while an electric kettle is plugged in that then heats the liquid using electricity.
- Stove kettles need power in the form of stoves, electricity or fire to run, while an electric kettle can just be used anyplace wherever it can be plugged in.
- Stove kettles are a better choice if used outside. You need a fire to heat the kettle, and you are good. However, electric kettles are now available that can work on a car USB port, so they are also portable.
- Electric kettles are time-saving as they are comparatively fast in boiling water; however, stove kettles are slow in this regard.
- Electric kettles have an automatic shutdown mechanism when water reaches a certain temperature, so water does not overflow. However, the stovetop kettle is comparatively unsafe as the kettle needs to be shut off manually.
- Some folks prefer the vintage appearance of the stovetop kettle, while some folks prefer the more modern appearance of the electric kettle.
- Kitchen Accessory Buying Guides
- Kitchen Appliance Buying Guides
- Kitchen Cookbook Buying Guides
- Kitchen Cookware Buying Guides
- Kitchen Pantry Food Buying Guides
- Does Food Go Bad Articles
- Food Comparison Articles
- Foods That Start With Letter Articles
- How Long Can Food Sit Out Articles
- How To Defrost Food Articles
- How To Reheat Food Articles
- How To Soak Food Articles
- Popular Foods Articles
- What Does It Taste Like Articles