If you ask the folks who regularly work in the kitchen what’s the most difficult job, they will tell you that peeling vegetables and fruits is one of them. It gets even worse if a dull peeler is used. Knowing the right peeler for you makes this job so much easy that you may start enjoying the process.
This might make you wonder which peeler is better serrated or straight? The easiest way to answer this is that it is entirely up to you and which peeler you are most comfortable with. The other thing is the fruit or vegetable that you usually peel.
Whether serrated or straight, peelers, if bought from a reliable brand, will last long and make the peeling job much easier. All you have to do is choose which peeler is the right for you. We have covered serrated and straight peelers in detail to make this decision easier for you.
Similar to a bread knife, serrated peelers have tiny ridges along its blade. They work great on soft vegetables or fruits, for example, peaches and tomatoes. These serrated edges uniformly cut into the skin and ensure the vegetable or fruit does not tear up.
When dealing with softer items, a serrated peeler will save a lot of your wasted produce. Moreover, harder fruits and vegetables such as apples or pumpkins can also be peeled with the help of a serrated peeler. However, this may require a comparatively greater push.
1. OXO Good Grips Prep Serrated Y-Peeler
This peeler works best at peeling peaches, tomatoes or other kinds of soft produce. It is very efficient at what it does and does not cause tearing and bruising in the produce. This OXO peeler has a Y design and is really comfortable to hold.
It also comes with a non-slip firm grip that prevents any kinds of accidents in the kitchen. The peeler is compromises of strong and sharp stainless-steel blades, which are very durable. It is also pretty easy to clean and dishwasher safe.
2. Kuhn Rikon Serrated Piranha
Kuhn Rikon’s serrated peeler consists of horizontal blades that easily peel fruits and vegetables with smooth skin. The blades are made of stainless steel and easily peel the skin off into smooth strips. Its handle is made from plastic and comes with a non-slip grip.
The blades used are very durable and won’t rust or get blunt with time. Due to this peeler’s incredible grip, it can be used by both hands easily. The peeler is pretty easy to wash and also dishwasher safe.
3. Messermeister Pro-Touch Serrated Swivel Peeler
This pro touch serrated peeler has the unique ability to be held even if it’s totally wet. It has a great non-slip grip that prevents any kinds of accidents. It also comes with stainless steel blades that are really efficient in cutting fruits or vegetables.
The blades used are very durable and won’t rust or get blunt with time. Due to this peeler’s incredible grip, it can be used by both hands easily. These are some of the latest technology available in the market and the most sought after.
It is one of the highest-rated peelers in the market. The peelers we have mentioned above are the most rated ones. They come with non-slip grips and efficient blades that slice through fruits and vegetables like nothing.
Straight peelers work great in peeling hard vegetables and fruits compared to softer vegetables or fruits. It consists of sharp blades that gently slice the skin of fruits and vegetables. It is a go-to tool in your kitchen that makes the hard peeling job fairly easy.
They are ideal when many peeling involves carrots, potatoes or other hard produce. They come with incredibly sharp blades that are able to slice through these hard fruits. Moreover, they have a firm grip that effortlessly peels firm produce.
They are also widely used to cut thin slithers of fruits and vegetables, which can be served decorated. As the name suggests, straight peelers are vertically straight in shape and consist of sharp blades that slice through food. Some of the high-rated straight peelers are mentioned below.
1. Paderno World Cuisine Potato Peeler
The Paderno cuisine peeler is an overall peeler that works great in the kitchen. It has a stainless-steel exterior, top-quality metal blades and a non-slip grip. It is widely used to peel hard produce like potatoes, cucumbers and apples. This peeler allows you to peel without much effort comfortably. It is made from high-quality metals and has good user feedback; if you are confused about which peeler to buy, you should consider this one.
2. Global Classic Stainless Steel Vegetable Peeler
This peeler from the global classic is made from Cromova 18 stainless steel. It has a strong blade that is durable and won’t get blunt or rust with use. It is also very lightweight and balanced.
It comes with a hollow handle with sand inside, which ensures the experience with this peeler can be as comfortable as possible. It has a non-slip grip that allows you to have a firm grip. Being one of the straight peelers, it is primarily used to slice hard fruits or vegetables.
So, What’s The Difference Between a Serrated Peeler and A Straight Peeler?
Concluding the above-mentioned article into key points:
- Serrated peeler has a bent between its handle and its blade, while straight peeler is vertically upright.
- Serrated peelers have rotating blades that help peel soft food items without damaging the flesh.
- Straight peelers are built to be used on hard produce like potatoes, apple carrots, while serrated peelers are made for the purpose of being used on soft produce without pulling its flesh out.
- Serrated peelers are more widely used because of their compact design and because they are easier to use.
- If you are thinking of peeling fruits, then a serrated peeler is the go-to; however, if you want to use it on vegetables, then a straight peeler is the go-to.
- Kitchen Accessory Buying Guides
- Kitchen Appliance Buying Guides
- Kitchen Cookbook Buying Guides
- Kitchen Cookware Buying Guides
- Kitchen Pantry Food Buying Guides
- Does Food Go Bad Articles
- Food Comparison Articles
- Foods That Start With Letter Articles
- How Long Can Food Sit Out Articles
- How To Defrost Food Articles
- How To Reheat Food Articles
- How To Soak Food Articles
- Popular Foods Articles
- What Does It Taste Like Articles