When you go to your local grocery store, some aisles will contain delicious fruit that can be made into fruity desserts, the easiest being homemade fruit salad. A large bowl full of your favorite fruits is all you need to get started with healthy eating, which you can then expand to other dishes. In this article, we share how to make a fruit salad that offers a wonderful side dish or can be served as a healthy dessert to your family and friends.
Table of Contents
How to Make a Fruit Salad
Fruit salads are a summer staple that provides fresh flavors and vibrant colors in a bowl. Below is an easy fruit salad recipe that combines a rainbow of fruits with a simple dressing. There’s no need to complicate this original recipe since all you really need is fruit — you can use all kinds of fresh fruit. Whether you need something to cool off during hot days or want to go out on a picnic by the park, making a fruit salad is a great way to provide refreshments.
If you’re not sure of which fruits to use when preparing your salad, all you need to do is combine a range of fruits of different colors and complementing tastes, which may include the following.
- Strawberries: Be sure to check these before you buy them — fresh strawberries will come in a bright red color without any dark spots.
- Pineapple: Opt for ripe pineapple which should give off a sweet pineapple scent and won’t be too soft when you press on it. It should also have yellowish skin.
- Blueberries: A plump blueberry will be sweeter so look for these in grocery stores.
- Mandarin Oranges: Be sure that you purchase ones that are spotless and ripe.
- Kiwi Fruit: Ripe kiwis will be soft and those that are unripe will be firm, no matter their size.
- Grapes: You can choose from green or red grapes — fresh ones will hold on tightly to their stem and won’t fall off easily. They will also have vibrant and bright colors when fresh.
- Mango: Look for one that’s ripe and firm to the touch.
- Bright Honey Lime Dressing: This is made using a little honey, fresh orange juice, lemon juice, and lemon zest or lime juice which is used to enhance the flavor and taste of your salad.
- Prepare all the basic ingredients by peeling and cutting them accordingly.
- Mix all the cut fruit in a big bowl.
- Ready your dressing inside a small bowl; whisk your lemon zest, juices, and honey.
- Combine the dressing with your fruits, tossing them thoroughly to ensure an even coating with the dressing.
- Be sure to chill it until they’re ready to serve.
Other Use for Fruits
If you want to explore other recipes that you can make using fruits apart from a fruit salad, check out these great recipes.
When you want to make a delicious smoothie, use this easy recipe that uses frozen fruit.
- ½ cup of 100% pineapple juice
- ¾ cup of nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 ½ cups of fruits such as raspberries, blueberries, peaches, or pineapple
Simply puree the yogurt with the juice inside a blender or food processor. While the motor is running, add your fruits through the hole and continue processing until you get a smooth consistency.
Fruit and Yogurt Parfaits
Want to upgrade your fruit cup? This simple recipe is all you’ll need.
- 3 cups of nonfat yogurt with vanilla extract
- 1 cup of fresh berries such as strawberries
- 1 pint of extra fruit such as blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries
- 1 cup of granola
Start by layering ⅓ of your vanilla yogurt at the bottom of 4 glasses then combine your strawberries with your other berries. Take turns when layering your fruits with the granola and then with the yogurt until you’re able to fill the glasses all the way to the top. Serve them as soon as possible to keep a crunchy consistency.
Other Things You Can Make with Fruit
The next time you want to do something with fruits in your fridge, there are plenty of different things you can do with it, depending on the kind of fruit you have. For a healthy snack, you can choose from options like a fruit pizza, an easy fruit compote, fresh fruit tarts, or an easy fruit sorbet.
Now that you have the best fruit salad recipes, you’ll be sure to get rave reviews at your next party for these simple and healthy treats. It’s a good thing that you can store your fruits inside an airtight container to ensure they will stay fresh for the next day. No matter what type of fruit you wish to use, you can be sure that there’s a great way for you to use it, whether it’s for making ice cream or a tart recipe.
- Kitchen Accessory Buying Guides
- Kitchen Appliance Buying Guides
- Kitchen Cookbook Buying Guides
- Kitchen Cookware Buying Guides
- Kitchen Pantry Food Buying Guides
- Does Food Go Bad Articles
- Food Comparison Articles
- Foods That Start With Letter Articles
- How Long Can Food Sit Out Articles
- How To Defrost Food Articles
- How To Reheat Food Articles
- How To Soak Food Articles
- Popular Foods Articles
- What Does It Taste Like Articles