Shipova is a pear-like fruit with a delicious taste. The fruit is seedless with a taste similar to a pineapple. Shipova is fleshy and nutritious, so it is really good for your health. Shipova can be used to make Shipova juice that is extremely refreshing and healthy. It also adds to the delight of fruit salads, desserts, and cakes.
If you have brought a bulk of Shipova from the market, you must have wondered, does it go bad? This article will cover all the information regarding the storage of the fruits, so be patient with us!
How to Store Shipova?
Shipova tastes best when it is fully ripened. Before eating the fruit, you must give it sufficient time to ripe if it is not fully ripened. The most important thing is to provide a suitable temperature and moisture to the fruit.
While picking the fruit from the market, beware of bruised and rotten ones. If Shipova is not fresh and firm, it might go bad soon, which is not a good sign. There are various methods to store the fruits for a long. Some of these are listed below.
Keep it away from sunlight
Like all other fruits, Shipova is sensitive to high temperatures. If it is exposed to sunlight, it can be overripe and turn soft. High temperature also favors the growth of bacteria and molds. So, you should store the fruits in a shady and ventilated place to keep them fresh.
Store at room temperature
If you plan to eat Shipova in 2-3 days, you can store it at room temperature. Storing the fruit at room temperature is safe and beneficial. It provides a suitable temperature for the ripening of the fruit. However, it is essential to know that this method is not meant for long-term storage.
The best method to store Shipova for future use is to refrigerate it. The crisper drawer of your refrigerator is a good place to store the fruits. Once ripe, Shipovas must be stored in the refrigerator to maintain excellent quality. They usually stay safe for 1-2 weeks in the refrigerator.
Can you Freeze Shipova?
If you wish to store Shipova for another season, freezing is your go-to method. The best way to freeze them is to cut them into cubes or slices. This helps in storage and also increases the shelf-life of Shipovas. You can freeze this delicious fruit by following some simple steps. Continue reading the article to know these steps.
- Firstly, wash the fruits thoroughly to remove any dirt.
- Peel the fruits and cut them into thin slices or cubes.
- Squeeze a lemon on the slices to prevent them from browning
- Next, you can freeze the Shipova slices as such or blanch them first.
- If you have blanched them, drain and cool the slices well before freezing
- Place the slices on a freezer tray and freeze for 7-10 hours.
- Transfer the frozen slices into a Zip-lock plastic bag or an air-tight container.
- Label with the date and time for your ease.
How Long Does Shipova Last?
The shelf life of Shipova depends upon the method of storage. Some methods are meant for short-term storage, while others can store the fruit for another season. Whole Shipovas can last for 3-4 days on your kitchen counter. If stored in the refrigerator, they usually maintain their quality for 1-2 weeks.
Sliced Shipovas will not last long at room temperature, so you must not store them this way. Freezing becomes the best method to store the sliced and blanched ones. If stored well, they stay safe for another season without going bad.
How to Tell if Shipova has Gone bad?
If not stored correctly, your Shipovas can go bad. If you want to prevent this, you should always be careful about the temperature requirements of the fruits. Some indications of spoiled fruit are mentioned below.
- When shipova goes bad, it loses its firm texture.
- If you notice any bruises on the skin of the fruit, it has probably gone bad.
- If the thumb pierces the fruit’s skin after touching it, it is not a good sign.
- If the fruit looks brown and soft after cutting, it indicates the growth of molds.
- Lastly, the Shipova loses its sweet flavor and tastes bitter and unpleasant.
Always cut and check the Shipovas before eating. If you notice such signs, you should discard the rotten fruits as soon as possible. Shipova is full of nutrients and flavor in all forms. It provides many health benefits and boosts up your metabolism. Although it is not as common as all other fruits, it is unique in its taste and benefits. If you store it well, you can enjoy its benefits for a long time.