Are you a cheese lover? If it’s a yes, then this article is for you. This article will help you know a unique variety of Italian cheese named Provolone. Provolone is creamy and delicious. It is a wonderful addition to pizzas, pasta, and various sauces.
Provolone is available in 2 forms. One has a sweet flavor, while the other has a sharper taste. Provolone is semi-hard and maintains a fairly good shelf life. The important questions here are that does Provolone go bad? How to tell if it has gone bad? Read the article till the end to find the answers to these questions.
How to Store Provolone?
Provolone should be stored carefully to prevent it from going bad. You should take care of the temperature and moisture conditions before storing it.
Provolone can be stored in the block, sliced, or grated form. It is commercially available in tightly sealed plastic wrappings. It should always be stored in a similar way to avoid contact with air. Some methods store it temporarily, while others can store it for long-term use. Below is a list of some important methods to store Provolone.
Keep it away from heat
Provolone can easily go bad if exposed to heat. Molds can grow at high temperatures leading to a bad smell and early spoilage of the cheese.
Store at room temperature
If you plan to use Provolone in 2 hours, you can store it at room temperature. On a sunny day, this method is not recommended due to the high temperature. It is essential to note that this method is only meant for short-term storage.
Refrigeration is a safer method to store Provolone. If you have opened the sealed package of cheese, don’t forget to wrap the cheese well before refrigerating. You can use an aluminum foil or plastic covering to wrap the cheese. Squeeze out any air for safe storage.
Can you Freeze Provolone?
Freezing is the best of all the methods for the long-term storage of Provolone. Being a semi-hard cheese, Provolone freezes well and can last for six months. How amazing is that!
Freezing Provolone is not a lengthy process. You need to follow some simple steps to freeze the cheese well. Here they are
- If you have a bulk of Provolone, cut or slice it into small-sized portions.
- Wrap the portions in aluminum foil or a plastic bag.
- If you have bought the wrapped Provolone, always take care of its storage once opened.
- Squeeze all the air from the wrapping before placing it in the freezer.
- Add a label to maintain a record of the date and quantity.
- Place it in a suitable place in the freezer.
Provolone stored in this way maintains a shelf-life of 6-8 months. Before using the frozen cheese, it should be thawed in the refrigerator or at room temperature. If frozen correctly, Provolone maintains its delicious creamy flavor for a long. After thawing, it can be easily be sliced or grated according to your choice.
How Long Does Provolone Last?
The shelf life of Provolone mainly depends on how you have stored it. Any contact with air can reduce the shelf-life and make it go bad soon.
Under ideal storage conditions, unopened Provolone stays fresh for about two months in the refrigerator. However, an opened package will only last for three weeks. Do not forget to check the expiry date on the package before using it.
In the freezer, Provolone can maintain freshness for 6-8 months. This is a great benefit for those who plan to store it for a long. Don’t forget to place the cheese back in the freezer. If kept for long at room temperature, it can go bad.
How to Tell if Provolone Has Gone Bad?
Like other food products, Provolone tends to go bad if not stored properly. It loses all its properties and is no longer good to use. Following indications can help you confirm if your stored Provolone has gone bad.
- If Provolone goes bad, its color darkens.
- It also develops a slimy texture in contrast to the semi-solid texture.
- The growth of molds and bacteria is also an obvious indication.
- The cheese may smell bad which is not a good sign.
- It loses its creamy flavor and gives an unpleasant taste.
If you notice any such signs, you should discard your cheese as soon as possible. Keep a check on the best before date to know if the cheese has gone bad. Eating spoiled Provolone can lead to various health problems.
Provolone is delightful and nutritious at the same time. It is a rich source of calcium and other minerals. It makes your bones strong and healthy. This amazing dairy product makes your pizzas and pasta more delicious and mouth-watering. Provolone can be stored by simple methods. If you store it correctly and carefully, you can enjoy it for a long.
- Kitchen Accessory Buying Guides
- Kitchen Appliance Buying Guides
- Kitchen Cookbook Buying Guides
- Kitchen Cookware Buying Guides
- Kitchen Pantry Food Buying Guides
- Does Food Go Bad Articles
- Food Comparison Articles
- Foods That Start With Letter Articles
- How Long Can Food Sit Out Articles
- How To Defrost Food Articles
- How To Reheat Food Articles
- How To Soak Food Articles
- Popular Foods Articles
- What Does It Taste Like Articles