Lotus is a vegetable that is extracted from a lotus plant usually found in Asia. The stems of lotus root are crunchy and have a sweet taste. They are shaped like a baked potato, and while cutting it into pieces, the inner part carries texture. Fresh lotus roots are white or light pink.
Lotus root contains many nutritional values such as Vitamin B, Vitamin C, iron, magnesium, copper, and zinc. It helps you to maintain your sugar level and cholesterol. It is very helpful for weight loss, and also it helps you to improve your digestive system.
Table of Contents
How To Store Lotus Root
Lotus root cannot be eaten raw as it contains bacteria. The only way you can eat is by cooking or boiling it. You can store it by keeping it raw or cutting them into slices. Following are the measures that you can take to store your vegetable in a good manner.
Refrigeration is the most suitable way to store your vegetable as they will remain fresh. If you want to store your vegetable raw, wash it and wrap it with a cloth or towel. Keep them in a refrigerator so they will remain fresh.
You can also store your vegetable by cutting them into slices. This method will help you to use it for a longer period. You have to wash your vegetables and chop them into small slices. Put the pieces in a plastic bag and seal them and store it in a refrigerator.
In your Kitchen
You can also store your vegetables in the kitchen area, but you have to store them raw for that. It won’t be appropriate if you store slices of lotus root outside. It requires a normal amount of water to stay fresh. You can use water spray on it after 2 or 3 days.
You can also store it by boiling vegetables. Wash it and peel the soft skin. Take one bowl of water and boil it. Once the water is boiled, put the vegetable in hot water and boil it. Wrap the vegetable in a towel and keep it in a container.
Away from Sunlight
Lotus root grows in the summer season, and it requires sun, but when they are matured, it is better to keep it away from sunlight as it is very soft, and sunlight will make it even softer. For storing lotus root, you have to keep it at a cool room temperature.
Can You Freeze Lotus Root
Lotus root can be freeze. The shelf life will be increased if you are using frozen lotus root. The quality and taste remain the same while freezing them. To freeze the lotus root, wash them first and boil them. Once they are boiled, place them at a cool temperature and make them dry with a towel.
Cut them into slices, and keep them in an air-tight plastic bag. It will take 7 to 8 hours to freeze. One necessary action required before using frozen vegetables is to keep them outside for 30 minutes before using them, so it is easy for you to cook.
How Long Does Lotus Root Last
The shelf life of lotus root is completely based on the way you are preserving it. Suppose you are storing it raw in a refrigerator. It will last for two weeks, and in some cases, if they remain dry, there are chances that it can survive for more than two weeks.
The slice form of lotus root can last for 20 days in a refrigerator, but it should be air-tighten. If you are giving your preference to store your vegetable in your pantry, it can last for a week, but it must be placed at a cool room temperature.
If you are storing your vegetable raw, you have to keep using water spray once in 2 days, so when you plan to cook it, the quality will remain the same. Frozen lotus root can last for up to 6 months, and you have to keep it outside for 30 minutes before using it.
How To Tell If Lotus Root Is Bad
Lotus roots are very famous in the Middle East, and people cook them by adding different ingredients like spices, salt, etc. These vegetables are mild but sweet, and there are certain ways to get to know that you cannot use them for a longer time.
- Appearance: Lotus roots are white and light pink, and the first identification is that the color will start turning into dark pink. Once its color starts changing, you cannot eat it because it can affect your digestive system.
- Spoiled: When the color of vegetables turns from dark pink to brown, they will become even softer and mushy, and you will feel it by touching it. On the other hand, textures and patches will be visible.
- Bad Taste: When lotus roots are about to spoil, the taste will be changed, and you will able to feel the sourness, which is the identification of bad Lotus root.
- Kitchen Accessory Buying Guides
- Kitchen Appliance Buying Guides
- Kitchen Cookbook Buying Guides
- Kitchen Cookware Buying Guides
- Kitchen Pantry Food Buying Guides
- Does Food Go Bad Articles
- Food Comparison Articles
- Foods That Start With Letter Articles
- How Long Can Food Sit Out Articles
- How To Defrost Food Articles
- How To Reheat Food Articles
- How To Soak Food Articles
- Popular Foods Articles
- What Does It Taste Like Articles