Colby is a semi-hard cheese available at many groceries stores worldwide. Colby cheese is comparatively sweeter than cheddar cheese. The mouth-watering flavour of Colby cheese in sandwiches, pasta and burgers is always welcoming.
Colby cheese was developed in America. It has a moist texture and a creamy taste. Like all dairy products, it is a rich source of protein, vitamins and other nutrients.
If you have brought several blocks of Colby cheese during your Saturday grocery, you must be wondering about how to store it. An important concern here is that does Colby cheese go bad? If yes, how will you find it out and, what are the methods of preventing it from going bad?
How can you store Colby Cheese?
Colby cheese is neither completely hard nor soft. It has a high moisture concentration, so it requires cool conditions for storage. High temperature is not at all good for Colby cheese. Packaged Colby cheese available in grocery stores has a Best before date. It is advisable to use it within the best before date.
The best-recommended method is to refrigerate it. Refrigeration provides the required medium for the storage of the cheese. You need to keep the following points in your mind for storing Colby Cheese.
- Cut larger pieces of cheese into small-sized pieces.
- Use cheese bags or foils to wrap the cheese. Avoid using plastic bags because the cheese will start absorbing the flavour of the plastic. This is not a good sign at all.
- Wrap the cheese carefully. Don’t wrap it tightly or too loosely.
- Apart from plastic bags, you can also store Colby cheese in moisture-proof containers in the refrigerator.
- Thaw slowly in the refrigerator before using it.
Properly stored, Colby cheese will last for three to six weeks in the refrigerator. You can use it safely in this time period. The shelf life of Colby cheese can be further increased by freezing it.
Can you freeze Colby Cheese?
Colby Cheese tastes the best when eaten fresh, but sometimes it’s not convenient to use all of it within the best before date. Freezing is an excellent food preservation technique. It is an effective way to increase the shelf life of cheese.
An important question here is that does this technique apply to Colby cheese too? The answer is yes. Although freezing doesn’t spoil the nutrients in cheese, it slightly affects its quality and consistency. Frozen cheese most suitable for cooked dishes such as pizzas, sauces and pasta.
To freeze a block of Colby cheese, you need to read the simple steps mentioned below.
- Cut the Colby cheese into small portions.
- Wrap the portions in aluminium foil or freezer bags.
- Place the wrapped cheese in a zip-lock bag or container. This is important to stop air from entering into the cheese wrapping.
- Thaw slowly in the refrigerator for three to four days before using the cheese.
If stored carefully, Colby Cheese will stay fresh for about six to eight months in your freezer.
How long does Colby Cheese last?
The shelf life of cheese is affected by many factors. The most important factors include the best before date and the method adopted for its storage.
Most cheeses come with a best before date. Luckily, Colby cheese remains safe for 3 to 4 weeks, even after the best before date. If kept in a moisture-free environment, you can stop the growth of molds and bacteria.
If a chunk of your Colby cheese has a mold on it and you are worried, here is another good news. Guess what? After removing the molded part, you can still eat it. Preserve the remaining cheese in a fresh wrap.
The shelf life of Colby cheese in the refrigerator is three to six weeks in the refrigerator. Frozen cheese, however, lasts for six to eight months.
How to tell if Colby Cheese has gone bad?
Colby cheese has a high risk of going bad because of high oil content and moisture. It is a frequent target of molds and bacteria. Following indications can help you decide if your Colby cheese has gone bad.
- Colby cheese that has gone bad often develops a very hard texture.
- Molds may appear, giving rise to a bad smell coming from your packaging.
- Fresh Colby cheese has a bright orange colour. If it has gone bad. it will darken in colour
- Molded Colby Cheese loses its creamy flavour and tastes sour and sometimes bitter too.
Colby cheese is loved by people worldwide. It enhances the flavour of your favourite fast-food recipes. It has many health benefits for all.
It requires great care to protect it from spoiling. If you have opted for the correct methods of its storage, you can save it for a long. This will help you enjoy the long-term benefits of this wonder ingredient.