Cauliflower can go bad as every other vegetable. There can be many reasons behind it. It can either be the area’s temperature where it is stored or exceeded its time after being harvested.
Cauliflower contains a high percentage of water. It can survive only for a few days when kept at room temperature. In a refrigerator, it will be good to go for about a week or two. If you want to freeze it, it will stay good for over a year.
How to Store Cauliflower?
Cauliflower stays the best when provided with a cold and moist environment. Since it is a vegetable, you have to make sure that you store it properly to make it last longer. Following are some of the ways that you can keep your cauliflower.
Store in Refrigerator
The best place to store cauliflower is in the refrigerator. The refrigerator will provide a cold environment to the vegetable, but it doesn’t stand good with the moisture. The vegetable drawer may give a bit of humidity. However, your cauliflower can last there for a week or two.
Use a plastic bag to store it in
To maintain the moisture for cauliflower, you can put it in a vented plastic bag to keep the moisture in. The holes present in it will let out the excess of moisture and reduce the chances of it going bad.
Store away from sunlight
You have to make sure that your vegetable is kept away from sunlight or other heat sources. At higher temperatures, bacteria grow faster, and there are chances for the vegetable to go bad.
Store in your Pantry
If you want to store it outside the fridge, you can also place it in the pantry. It will provide a good environment for the vegetable that will keep it fresh, and it will be good to go for a couple of days. However, after some time, it will start to get brown spots due to the oxidation that will get dark brown and black over time.
Can you freeze cauliflower?
Yes, it is possible to freeze cauliflower. You can freeze it when you want to store it for a longer time. It will remain in its best shape for up to a month after losing its texture, or its taste may get flat due to freezer burn.
So, it would help if you blanched it first before freeing it. For this purpose, you should pick fresh cauliflower, or at least it shouldn’t be older than 15 to 20 days. You have to make sure that the veggie does not contain any brown spots, or it may spoil the veggie’s frozen taste or texture.
The first step is to cut the veggie into small bits by separating it from its stem and rinse the veggie thoroughly. Put them in a bowl of water and boil them for about 2 to 3 minutes. To avoid the sticking of cauliflower and the frozen chunks, you should place them on a waxed paper and place them layer by layer and then put them in the freezer.
How long does cauliflower last?
Cauliflower’s shelf life depends on how well you store it. It can stay good for about 3 to 4 days at room temperature, 7 to 14 days in the refrigerator, and for over a year if you keep it in the freezer. Cooked cauliflower keeps quality for about 4 to 5 days in the fridge.
The following points can determine the precise answer;
- The quality of the veggie, whether it contains brown or black spots.
- How long has it been since the vegetable has harvested and stored.
- How well is it stored, whether it is stored in the vented plastic bag or not.
It is best not to store the veggie outside the refrigerator if you do not plan to use it in the next 2 or 3 days. Otherwise, it will deteriorate much faster.
How to Tell If Cauliflower Is Bad?
Like any other veggie, when cauliflower goes bad, it shows signs from which we can determine that the veggie has gone bad. The signs we should look for when checking the veggie are;
- Cauliflower will start getting small brown spots, but it doesn’t mean that the veggie is inedible. You can still use it. These brown spots are due to the bacteria’s growth, which may get darker and then turn into black color. This is now a bad sign because the veggie has really gone bad when this appears, and now the time has come to throw it away.
- Cauliflower has a firm texture, and when it starts getting soft, you should know that your cauliflower is inedible now.
- When you sense a rancid smell or the smell that is often odd, do not use it.
- When you have stored cooked cauliflower, then there are clear signs of molds when it goes bad.
- Kitchen Accessory Buying Guides
- Kitchen Appliance Buying Guides
- Kitchen Cookbook Buying Guides
- Kitchen Cookware Buying Guides
- Kitchen Pantry Food Buying Guides
- Does Food Go Bad Articles
- Food Comparison Articles
- Foods That Start With Letter Articles
- How Long Can Food Sit Out Articles
- How To Defrost Food Articles
- How To Reheat Food Articles
- How To Soak Food Articles
- Popular Foods Articles
- What Does It Taste Like Articles