Broccoli Rabe is one of the green vegetables that is used daily all around the globe. It is one of the favorite green vegetables of many people as it is a vegetable, so it is quite clear that it will get spoiled.
If you do not take great care of its storage conditions, it will go bad very quickly. If you have bought too many broccoli rabes, you will have to store them in good conditions. This article briefly explains the storage, shelf life, and going bad of broccoli rabe.
How to Store Broccoli Rabe?
To extend the shelf life of broccoli rabe, you need to store it in good conditions. It will help the broccoli rabe to retain its peak quality and freshness for a long time. Broccoli rabe can be stored in the same way as you store broccoli.
If you are not familiar with this veggie and you have bought it for the first time, you need to follow some important storage guidelines that are mentioned below:
Place at room temperature
Just like cauliflower, you can also place broccoli rabe at room temperature for some time. If you have bought a small amount of broccoli rabe, you can place it at room temperature for a couple of days. It will be best for you to use it within two days.
Broccoli rabe can turn yellow if they are stored for more than two days in the pantry. Its quality gets affected very rapidly at room temperature. However, you can place it at room temperature for a couple of days, but it is not recommended.
Store in the refrigerator
The best place for storing broccoli rabe is the refrigerator. It keeps them chilled and fresh for a long time. Broccoli rabe can retain its peak quality and freshness for a long time in the refrigerator. So, if you have bought too many broccoli rabes and are not sure that you can use that all within a couple of days, it will be best to store them in the refrigerator.
Remember that you should never wash broccoli rabes before storing them in the fridge because it creates extra moisture that can promote mold growth that will affect the broccoli rabe.
Store in the freezer
If you want to store broccoli rabe for long-term usage, the freezer is the best place. The shelf life of broccoli rabe will increase by storing it in the freezer. It can retain its quality and freshness for many months in the freezer.
Can You Freeze Broccoli Rabe?
Yes, you can freeze broccoli rabe for long-term storage. Both cooked and raw broccoli rabe can be stored in the freezer. Freezing increases the shelf life of broccoli rabe. But before freezing broccoli rabe, you need to take care of some important things.
Wash the broccoli rabe, and it will be best to blanch them before freezing. Then lay them on a cookie sheet in such a way that they do not touch each other. Put the sheet directly in the freezer and leave it for some time. After some time, transfer those pieces into the freezer bags or airtight container and put them in the freezer. Similarly, cooked broccoli rabes can also be stored in the freezer.
How Long Does Broccoli Rabe Last?
Broccoli rabe does not have a very long shelf life. The shelf life of broccoli rabe much depends on its storage conditions. If it is stored properly, then it will last for as long as possible. Moreover, the shelf life of broccoli rabe also depends upon its quality.
Commonly the broccoli rabes will last for only a couple of days at room temperature. But if you store them properly in the refrigerator, then they will last for almost a week. In comparison, cooked broccoli rabes can last up to four days in the refrigerator.
The shelf life of frozen broccoli rabe is longer than the one you have stored in the refrigerator. Broccoli rabe can retain its peak quality for almost four months in the freezer.
How to Tell If Broccoli Rabe Is Bad?
Both the cooked and raw broccoli rabes can go bad very quickly. There are few signs of spoilage to look for. There is a change in the taste, color, and smell of broccoli once it gets spoiled. If you find difficulty in telling whether your broccoli rabe is fine or not, you need to check the following things:
- Check the broccoli rabe’s surface. If you notice any kinds of dark spots or mold on it, just cut it off. Mold and dark spots are one of the most common signs of spoilage. Similarly, if you notice white mold on the surface of cooked broccoli rabe, it will be best for you to discard it at once.
- Check the color of the broccoli rabe. If it has turned yellow, then it means that it has gone bad. Please get rid of it immediately.
- The smell can also help us in telling whether the product is fresh or not. So, give broccoli rabe a good sniff. If it smells bad, it will be best for you to get rid of it at once. Bad smell is also a common sign of spoilage.
- Kitchen Accessory Buying Guides
- Kitchen Appliance Buying Guides
- Kitchen Cookbook Buying Guides
- Kitchen Cookware Buying Guides
- Kitchen Pantry Food Buying Guides
- Does Food Go Bad Articles
- Food Comparison Articles
- Foods That Start With Letter Articles
- How Long Can Food Sit Out Articles
- How To Defrost Food Articles
- How To Reheat Food Articles
- How To Soak Food Articles
- Popular Foods Articles
- What Does It Taste Like Articles