Apple Cider Vinegar has an acidic pH value and is commonly used as a food preservative. It is used in marinades and dressing salads. Apple Cider Vinegar undergoes a fermentation process during its preparation.
All the beverages and fermented foods are safer than unfermented equivalents, therefore, some common harmful bacteria cannot survive more than few hours in the acidity of apple cider and cannot multiply.
Apple cider vinegar can even become safer after its expiration due to the fermentation process. Therefore, apple cider vinegar can last for a more extended period even after its expiration. It is essential to store it to retain its best quality properly.
Table of Contents
How to store Apple Cider Vinegar?
Apple Cider Vinegar has an unpredictable shelf-life that makes you unworried about its spoliation. But it is essential to retain its best quality as well. It can be done by storing it in a better way as, if it is stored correctly, it will last for an extended period.
Place it away from sunlight.
Vinegar is very sensitive to heat. Keeping the Apple Cider Vinegar away from sunlight helps it to retain its quality so please keep it away from the sunlight. Keeping it in a cupboard or shelf where the sunlight is unable to reach is a good idea.
Tighten the cap properly.
Apple Cider Vinegar does not go bad. If it is exposed to air, some harmful bacteria can get into it. So, it is better to keep it covered. Always tighten the cap well before storage.
Store it in a cool place
Apple Cider Vinegar is a product that does not need any refrigeration. It is because it has a very long-lasting shelf-life, and it does not go bad. So, it is better to keep it in a cool place away from heat resources such as near the stove, at the back of the refrigerator or oven.
Avoid diluting the vinegar
The reason behind the long-lasting of Apple Cider Vinegar is its acidity level as the acidity does not allow the common harmful bacteria to grow in it. However, if you try to dilute the Apple Cider Vinegar, its acidity will be decreased which allows the bacteria to grow in it. It affects the quality, and it won’t be shelf-stable anymore.
How can you freeze Apple Cider Vinegar?
A product is refrigerated if it is not shelf-stable for an extended period. Apple Cider Vinegar does not go bad easily, therefore it does not need any refrigeration.
However, if needed Apple Cider Vinegar can be frozen for up to 1 year in an ice cube tray as it gives it more flexibility when you try to defrost it. However, freezing may degrade the flavor of Apple Cider Vinegar. The longer you freeze it, the more it will affect its flavor, so, is better to store it in a cupboard or shelf to retain its quality.
How long does Apple Cider Vinegar last?
Vinegar is one of the food products with an indefinite shelf life, just like honey and other liquors. It has a high acidity level, which does not allow harmful bacteria to grow in it. Vinegar contains malic acid and acetic acid that makes vinegar a powerful disinfectant having antibacterial qualities due to which it lasts long even after its expiration.
However, if you are using a bottle of expired Apple Cider Vinegar, you don’t need to worry at all. It becomes safer even after its expiration and can be safely used for years after its expiration. If you store it well in better conditions, it will last for long, and most importantly, its quality will be retained.
How to tell if Apple Cider Vinegar is terrible?
Apple Cider Vinegar has a long-lasting life and it is sporadic for apple cider vinegar to go bad. But sometimes, there might be a change in the taste, color, or smell of the vinegar. In this case, please avoid using the vinegar as they sign the formation of bacteria in it and the change occurs when apple cider vinegar is not at its peak quality.
- Notice changes in the smell of vinegar. If it does not smell acidity or vinegary, it probably has gone wrong, which is rare. If it smells harmful or tastes terrible, get rid of it immediately.
- Notice changes in the vinegar appearance. If there is a change in the color of vinegar, it means that the quality of vinegar is affected and not at its peak. If you notice some bulging signs or hear gas escaping from the bottle, throw it away.
- Taste it, and if you notice a change in the taste of vinegar, it is not in its best condition. If it tastes more acidic, it may have gone bad.
- Kitchen Accessory Buying Guides
- Kitchen Appliance Buying Guides
- Kitchen Cookbook Buying Guides
- Kitchen Cookware Buying Guides
- Kitchen Pantry Food Buying Guides
- Does Food Go Bad Articles
- Food Comparison Articles
- Foods That Start With Letter Articles
- How Long Can Food Sit Out Articles
- How To Defrost Food Articles
- How To Reheat Food Articles
- How To Soak Food Articles
- Popular Foods Articles
- What Does It Taste Like Articles