Sea Grape is a coastal plant that grows delicious fruits resembling ”grapes”. The grapes are small, almost equal to the size of a marble. They have a sweet and acidic flavor and are often used to make jams and desserts.
Sea Grape is loved by animals living in tropical areas. It grows in a bunch, just like other grapes. It is rich in Vitamin C and other important nutrients. Does Sea Grape Go Bad? How to tell if it has gone bad? If you are looking for answers to these questions, you have come to the right place.
How To Store Sea Grape?
Sea Grape is a pulpy fruit and needs to be stored with care. If you provide the appropriate temperature and moisture, you can store the fruit for a long. Always choose the freshest fruit while buying sea grapes to avoid early spoilage. The fresher the grapes, the longer they will last.
The shelf life of Sea Grape depends mainly on how you store it. Some methods are meant for long-term storage, while others only keep them fresh for few hours. Continue reading the article to know about these methods.
Keep them away from moisture
Sea Grape is highly sensitive to moisture. You should avoid washing them before storing them to avoid any moisture contact. The fruit can decay fast if exposed to moisture for a long time.
Store on the kitchen counter
If you plan to use your sea grapes in 2-3 days, you can store them on the kitchen counter. Store them in a suitable container and keep them away from insects.
This is the best method for the long-term storage of Sea Grapes. Store your grapes in an air-tight container to get the best results. As grapes tend to absorb the flavors of other foods, they should be stored away from onions and other vegetables.
Always store your grapes such that they are protected from being squeezed and spoiled. The refrigerator shelf is a good place to store the grapes. If stored well, they can maintain their freshness for 5 -10 days.
Can You Freeze Sea Grape?
If you have brought a bulk of Sea Grapes, you can freeze them for few months. Freezing the grapes involves some simple steps, which are discussed below.
- Rinse the grapes and dry them well. Use a paper towel to ensure no moisture is left.
- Remove the stems with a knife or a scissor.
- Spread the grapes on a freezer tray to prevent them from sticking together.
- Freeze the tray for 4-5 hours and pull out the tray afterward.
- Transfer the frozen grapes to a Zip-lock plastic bag and freeze.
Do not thaw the grapes after freezing, as they will become sloppy. You must be wondering how to use the frozen grapes? Well, the best way is to use them in smoothies and jams once they are frozen. Although this method stores the Sea Grapes for a long, they tend to lose their flavor with time.
How Long Does Sea Grape Last?
Sea grapes can be stored in different ways. Their shelf life depends upon the method of storage. If the fruits are kept away from moisture and heat, they usually maintain their freshness for few days. Sea Grapes last for 3-5 days if stored on the kitchen counter. If stored for long, they turn moldy and are no longer good to eat.
If stored in the refrigerator, they usually stay fresh for 5-10 days. Lastly, in the freezer, the Sea Grapes can last for 3-5 months. Depending upon your need, you should choose the most suitable method to store the Sea Grapes. In this way, you can enjoy the fruit for as long as you need.
How To Tell if Sea Grape Has Gone Bad?
Like all other fruits, Sea Grapes tend to go bad if not stored properly. They lose their usual properties and show signs of spoilage. Some of these signs are listed below.
- If the Sea Grape goes bad, it tends to discolorize.
- It acquires a soft texture and turns squishy.
- It loses the fruity odor and smells like vinegar.
- Molds begin to grow, leading to the decay of the grapes.
- The fruit does not taste good anymore once it has gone bad.
If you notice any such sign, you must throw away your Sea Grapes at the earliest. Eating rotten fruit can lead to numerous health problems.
Sea Grape is a delicious fruit with many health benefits. It is a colorful addition to your favorite desserts and drinks. Some simple methods can store the fruit. It doesn’t go well if not stored according to the appropriate conditions. If you store the fruit well, you can enjoy its benefits for a long.
- Kitchen Accessory Buying Guides
- Kitchen Appliance Buying Guides
- Kitchen Cookbook Buying Guides
- Kitchen Cookware Buying Guides
- Kitchen Pantry Food Buying Guides
- Does Food Go Bad Articles
- Food Comparison Articles
- Foods That Start With Letter Articles
- How Long Can Food Sit Out Articles
- How To Defrost Food Articles
- How To Reheat Food Articles
- How To Soak Food Articles
- Popular Foods Articles
- Spice Knowledge Articles